Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1, 2011 from Eauze

I have found a free wifi spot in the square near the church so am sending this quick update via my cell phone. As always please pardon any typos. We are in Eauze in the department of Gers. It was the Roman capital of the local province so the history of this town can be dated back at least 2000 years. It looks like there is a nice museum but unfortunately it is closed today. Most of the town is closed. You might excuse it because today is May 1st and it is a Sunday (May 1st is a big holiday in France and Spain.) I think it is because there is a huge bingo (lotto) game being held at the convention center a couple of blocks from the big church. I looked in and the place was packed.
The weather continues to be warm and mostly sunny. Today we thankfully walked through lots of wooded area so we were fairly well shaded. I realized that I was hearing the constant buzzing of bees overhead. There are some trees Chris believes are ash that are in full bloom with wonderfully fragrant white flowers that are attracting the bees. Other flowers are in bloom. Towns today and yesterday had lots of blooming irises. A few days ago we were in towns that were all ablaze with roses. We are also starting to walk through more and more vineyards.
My new favorite town is La Romieu which was indeed ablaze in roses. From La Romieu we walked to Condom (not a typo) and last night we were in Montreal du Gers.
All these towns are at least medieval with Romanesque churches and/or cathedrals.
We have stayed in some interesting hostels (gites) and have met some interesting people. Many people are planning to walk all the way to Santiago. Others are walking for one or two weeks a year. Most people are French. Others are Swiss, Belgian, and German. There have also been a few Canadians. Right Now I cannot remember meeting any other Americans.
Well it is dinner time so I will end for now.

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you. Very nice and enticing descriptions here. Thanks for sharing.
    Hospital construcion noise has me really wishing hard that I were out hiking through buzzing bees amid fragrant flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Great to hear from you again! It sounds absolutely lovely. I'm so glad that you are enjoying France. Can't wait to see pics some day. Maybe you can do a Saturday Talk next October. I'll mention it to Nok!?
    Meanwhile, I'm enjoying hearing about the trip and imagining being there alongside.
    Have fun,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ablaze in roses" is anywhere I want to be! You know how some people hate seeing other people's vacation pictures? Well I am not one of those people. I want to see pics too!!! Thanks for taking the time to update, I know it must be hard at times.
    Robin K.

    ReplyDelete