Monday, October 25, 2010

My New Job

Anyone reading this is either a friend or family member so you must be aware that I have officially retired. 

My last day of work was September 30, 2010.  My first day of retirement was October 1, 2010. 

 On the journey to retirement I envisioned taking Friday, October 1 off but on Monday, October 4 I expected to start "my new job" of sorting through 19+ years worth of "stuff" that has accumulated in my house. 

Instead, I spent most of the October 4 week staying up late, sleeping in, going to lunch with friends and not having to rush back to work.  And, I was able to volunteer with the North Slope Borough Department of Wildlife Management.

Barrow received twelve strikes for fall whaling.  Because of rough water no whales were caught until Thursday, October 7.  On that day I went out as a tourist with Law Clerk Leah to the old NARL runway to watch the butchering process and take photos.



On Friday,  October 8 I was fortunate to be accepted as a volunteer with the Wildlife people.  The North Slope Borough Department of Wildlife Management attends each whale to take measurements and take samples of blubber, various organs etc.  Most of what they do is way over my head.  I just know that it is important work.  They know what they are doing.  I was there to write things down when they needed it, to hold something when it needed to be held and to "take this to that person over there."

 I've lived in Barrow for 19 1/2 years and have been out to many fall whale butcherings.  However, I was never there from the beginning until the end.  I would go as a tourist to watch until I got too cold and then go home.  That's what I did on October 7.

On October 8 things changed.  As a volunteer I was able to go to the ARF and pick out some official Wildlife gear: bunny boots, overpants, down parka and leather gloves.  What a difference proper clothing makes!  On both the 8th and the 9th I was outside for 5 hours and was toasty warm the entire time.

As a volunteer I was able to play an ever-so-small part in the important scientific research conducted by the NSB Wildlife Department scientists.  If possible, I now have an even greater respect for my friends who work there.  And, as a volunteer I had the warm clothing and a reason for being on site from the time the whale was brought to shore until the shares were distributed.  Because of this, I have a profoundly deeper appreciation for the importance of whaling to the people of Barrow.  Whaling is why Barrow exists.

At a recent University of Alaska seminar on risk and offshore resource development that was videoconferenced between Barrow, UAF, UAA and UAS Ethel Patkotak stressed that whaling is not just a lifestyle choice.  Whaling defines who the Inupiat people are.

I've seen the truth in this statement when I have attended the spring Nalukataq celebrations.  As a volunteer with Wildlife for these few days I came to understand this truth on an even deeper level.

Barrow still has three strikes left.  Unfortunately, high winds have kept the crews on shore for the past two weeks.  When the winds do subside I'm ready to gear up at the ARF and head out once again as a Wildlife volunteer.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Karen. I'd like more info on the UAF/UAA seminar. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete