Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23 from Santiago

Actually got to Santiago on the 22nd. We reached the pilgrim office shortly after 8 pm and surprisingly it was still open. So we registered and got our compostelas but I am waiting until Friday for my official mass.
We didn't start out yesterday planning to walk 40.5 km (with full packs I must add). We were only going to walk 20 km to Arca. But we got to Arca early afternoon so we decided to go an additional 8 km to San Paio where my guidebook said there was a hotel. That way we would have a good jump start on the walk to Santiago.
Well, when we got to San Paio the one hotel was shuttered closed. By the time we got to the next possible place to stay we were only 10.5 km from Santiago so we decided to just go the whole distance.
Right now I think I am more impressed that I walked 40 km yesterday than I am with the 1300 km I have walked since April 1st.
More later.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Karen,congratulations for your tremendeous journey and the last big big step, you made. The last weeks I was very busy and travelling a lot, so that I couldn't take the time to response to your travel novel, sorry. But I was reading whenever I could!!
    Now you made it and you made it very well, I guess. I only went 42km once on the camino and afterwards I knew, I wouldn't do it again! You made it - when I think of your injuries the last time again: a big congratulaton. Enjoy the days there and the feelings. I am very jelous of you, I have to confess. In thoughts I am with you, Mathias

    ReplyDelete